Monday, July 26, 2010

My Discoveries about Painful Menstruation

I know the experience differs from one woman to another.

How do women in my family handle their periods?

My mom used to get serious cramp or stomach ache, I don't know, but she had to ask for medical leave every month. And then, again I don't know what happened, it stopped. It's just not painful anymore nor is it any different from any other day.

Then, my younger sister. It seems like it's gradually getting worse. At first, she didn't really feel anything or maybe I just didn't notice. And then she started getting cramps. Now, it sounds like the cramps are getting worse to the point she might vomit.

So, I don't know how my mom solved her monthly problem (though I have suspicion) but it seems like my younger sister solved hers by taking the pink Panadol made for menstruation. The pills are good, there's no doubt about that. However it's not good to rely on it.

How do I handle my period?

I'm a firm believer that nature is perfect just the way it is. No need to go for the processed junk unless you really need to speed things up. So I learn to be more in tuned with my body and here're a few things I've noticed about myself.

Firstly, I will only get cramps if my feet are cold during sleep a day before my menstruation.

Usually I'll get the feeling when my menstruation is going to start. So if I didn't miss the 'hint' I only need to sleep with the fan off the day before it start. And voila, I'll feel nothing out of sort during my menstruation!

Secondly, how bad the cramp is totally depend on my diet, how active I am, and how much I let myself go a few days before the menstruation.

When I miss the 'hint', the result is not pretty. I get stomach ache, cramp, uncomfortably cold body, feel really gross, gassy, bloated, and constantly 'visiting' the loo. I can't eat too much either. It seems like my stomach can process the food really fast during this period. Only a few minutes afterward I'll be giving it all to the loo again!

Ha, ha, do YOU feel gross yet?

Thirdly, my cramp gets worse whenever I feel cold. So no fan, air conditioner or WIND.

It's torture when it's class day. At least you can get out after a few hours or so. Or, you can get Medical Leave. But when you got a job, you're at the mercy of your boss! I especially hate it when my male ex boss and some male co-workers think that we, women, are making this problem up!

Anyway, my last job as an IT assistant required me to be in the air conditioned office most of the time. It's really bad when I missed the 'hint' because I was constantly cold and there is only ONE loo in the whole place! So, I can't really 'worship' the loo as much as I want to. That's a torture on its own (not to mention quite embarrassing to openly discuss or explain to others....).

It's a good thing though that I was only a contract worker and I didn't really intent to work there for much longer so I can take a leave without having to bribe the doctors for Medical Leave. Otherwise.... I'm kinda pitying my fellow female co-workers there.

And lastly and the best discovery of all, drinking any carbonated soft drink helps SPEED UP the blood flow AND menstruation day! Oh, and not to mention my cramp too! :)

Well, the last discovery isn't natural but.... that's the best one I got right now. My all time favorite soda is 100 Plus. My family tend to use it to cure fever and constipation too. It works great but... how? I thought soda is supposed to be bad for your health with no health value?

My other 'discovery' about menstruation
I think a lot of women have notice this. Most virgins I know who have endured painful or bad menstruation experiences stop having them after getting married and.. well, you know what happened between the sheet.

It's certainly an interesting phenomenon.

Have you tried methods I've listed in this blog entry? Does it works for you too? Please tell me in your comment.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Semua komen akan ditapis terlebih dahulu sebelum disiarkan. Apa pun, saya ucapkan ribuan terima kasih kerana sudi komen :)

Thank you for leaving your comments :) but please be informed that all comments will be screened before they are posted on this site.