Friday, December 17, 2010

The First PPTM F29 Interview and Result

I want to report the process in detail but some of it was so long ago and I am not interested enough to try to dig in my memories any further. But, I don't want to totally forgot all about it either because who knows what might happen in the future. So this gonna be quick.

1. I don't remember when I filled in the government job application form on www.spa.gov.my.

2. I don't remember how they inform me if I got the interview or not and the interview details. I found out 2 of my best friends also got the interview in the same place. The dates are all on different days but both of them are a few days earlier than me. F was supposed to be the earliest but she got a problem with her boss so she cannot go on that date. They changed the date for her so F and S ended up with the same date.

3. The interview is held on working day. I went to the interview without telling my boss :P I told him I was sick. The traffic jam was crazy in Farlim. I arrived late however no harm done. I met an acquaintance from PSP. She's younger than me but is already a freelance programmer. How amazing! I also met a lot of other great programmers and people there. I felt like I have nothing special compared to them. One of them is a degree holder. She just gone out but already has her own company and passive income from the project her team had to do for their degree course. Another one is a programmer who was still working... in A PURE PROGRAMMING COMPANY... which is HIRED by the GOVERNMENT ITSELF.... We keep sharing tips and info about the interview and current issues. It was fun.

When it was my turn, the judges (interviewers) seem excited to see me? First, they asked me to tell something about myself. I told them about my hobbies, what I did during my unemployment (designing my guild web interface), my current job and why I want this job. Then they keep asking me about how I get it and if it hard to get it. I got 3.84 CGPA for my Diploma in IT (Programming). I didn't know it matters that much.

Then the unexpected question came out, "What is your strong points and why should we hire you?". Um, none of the candidates got this kind of questions. Even the online notes and forums about the JPA interviews do not mention this. I don't know how to answer it so my first answer came out rather weak. "Even if I don't know how to do something.. I'll do it anyway.." in my full of reluctance voice. They commented on that and told me that this question can be considered as an easy question, which mean the interviewers are giving me a chance to grab the job. So I tried again and this time they like it. I said, "I don't know what my strength is but when I was studying and even now, my friends and family always ask for my help for anything related to IT because I am usually up-to-date with this kind of stuff.". I felt like I am lying but it's true. They are only low level stuff though.

And the last question is if I was sent to work in a remote place where the system and hardware are already complete and fully functional, there are already people hired to key in the data, what do I do? I answered "I'll maintain the system.". Then they asked how to maintain the system. I kinda lost my words right here but one of the interviewers helped me and I managed to answer it. I said something about making sure it works, remove unusable and old items, and something like that :P I don't remember exactly what I said.

All in all, it's quite... weird.. They didn't ask much about programming or networking related question in depth which other candidates seem to get.

I told my F and S about this. F was totally excited and told me that if interviewers ask you this question, it means you already got the job and they just want to give you a chance to show off. O_O Okay.... I didn't know that.

Anyway, by the end of the interview, I got totally freak out. I felt like my chance to get the job is very high and.. strangely.. I don't wan't it. I was scared.

4. A few weeks or months later (I don't remember), the result came out online. I was keep in reserve. F and S didn't get the job either. S said JPA often takes 100 plus workers and keep about 200 in reserve. I don't mind and in fact I was quite happy. I totally forgot all about it.

5. Out of the blue, the offer letter came. My family was very excited. I was not. In fact, the first feeling I registered in my mind is annoyance. I wan't to focus on my online business. I was about to reject the offer but my mom and family keep badgering me and tell me all about the benefits. I changed my mind reluctantly.

I have to report to JPA in Putrajaya on 6 December 2010. A lot of things and documents have to be prepared including mind preparation. Who knows where I will work. I was very nervous, I don't know if I can do my job. Mom helps a lot. I need to do this. I want the money. Besides, this is a chance for me to learn more about computers (which is what I always want to do). So I tried to stop the negative thoughts and think positively. I can do it, I can do it, I can do it.

6. On 6 December 2010, my family and I arrived early. The queue was already very long. I thought I was the only one. I even found my PSP classmate, I. I was so so glad.

They took the two photos, and the acceptance letter. Then they sent us to hear the briefing. It was fun and scary and boring and exciting... depends on the speaker and the topic. I am still afraid of the possibilities and my ability but I keep trying to be positive. My friends and the speakers keep mentioning the same thing. You have to try, leave your ego and keep learning. Don't be afraid to ask. I'll keep that in mind.

Anyway, it seems that most of the job takers are about 25 years old and plus with a lot of job experience.  Just a small percentage people in here are younger than that. I'm considered among the youngest. But still, no matter what age they are, everyone in here seems to look very matured and acts very brave. I don't know how I ended up among this people. Okay, stop. No more backstabbing myself.

We mingled with them and managed to gather a few numbers to call :P hehehe... for just in case.

7. And sure enough, I harassed them all day on Wednesday, 8 December 2010. We have to report to our department. My department, PT, was having a meeting which ended after 2 o'clock. It was a blessing in disguise. Even though we were kept waiting in the lobby for them to call us doing nothing, during that time we managed to get to know each other. It was really fun and I managed to gather a lot of info.

8. I was placed to work in G. I don't know what to think. It's no use thinking about it anyway. Since PT said we can report to our office this week or next week provided we call the office (the one in G), I didn't anticipate a total rejection from G office. We were about to go back to Penang but now (9 December 2010)... we have to go straight to G. I expected a mean boss because of the rejection but when I met him, he is quite nice but a strict guy. My colleagues seem very nice and friendly too. My mentor, the senior PPTM in this place wasn't here. After I reported to the office, my boss let me to use the rest of the day to find a place to stay in G.

9. On 10 December 2010, I started working... by filling in the numerous forms. I don't have anything to do for the rest of the day so I spent the morning chatting with my colleagues and exploring the college. At about 9 o'clock my Celcom network connection was suddenly dead, I cannot contact my mom. Apparently this is a common occurence in G. Maxis users in this area seldom have this problem but the best service to use is Digi because it seems like they never have any network problem with it, yet. Around 12 o'clock, the signal is finally back.

I spent the evening with my mom, moving and cleaning our newly rented room. Mom love it because it's really bright and a very strategic place to live. I have to agree with her. Kitchen, bathroom, place to hang laundry are provided. The inhabitants are all female. The rent is cheap. And the best thing of all, everything we need is around us. Just say it, the bus stop, the wet market, furniture shops, clothing stores, the mall, CD store, banks, petrol stations, cellphone repair shops, photo stores, mechanics stores, KFC, fire station, police station, post office, clinics, KWSP, all within a walking distance! :)

Then, we went to KWSP and CIMB to check my KWSP account and create Islamic bank account. Afterward, we went back to the college so I can check out for the day which unfortunately I forgot to do.

When I went back to office, I was fully intending to fill in the rest of the documents but my senior called me for briefing. He is a busy guy and said to be a pro in his job. He was supposed to be attending a course and be back here next week so I didn't expect him to be here. He looks younger than expected (this week is full of surprises). Looking at our shared personal office, hearing his briefing, it seems like I have lots to learn. I wish me luck and all the best.

And like I said, I forgot to check out on my first day of work. Arghh, no use thinking about spilled milk.

So anyway, I wish all new PPTM F29 including me, all the best. May God protects and guides us.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Semua komen akan ditapis terlebih dahulu sebelum disiarkan. Apa pun, saya ucapkan ribuan terima kasih kerana sudi komen :)

Thank you for leaving your comments :) but please be informed that all comments will be screened before they are posted on this site.