Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Why Do I Walk Heavily on Feet?

I walk heavily on my feet. I always feel like there's something strange with the way I walk but I didn't know what it is until recently. It has nothing to do with laziness or reluctance to go somewhere I have to go. It's just that I sort of stomping on the ground when I walk.

It wasn't that obvious until I walk on a wood floor during our latest family trip. I even got nicknamed 'little elephant' because of this. I suspect, it's because I walk on my heel. My heels crack a lot and often sore after long walking. Not to mention that my shoe heel often crack too soon than the rest of shoe.

Is that how people stomp? Why do I stomp? Most men walk heavily on their feet, right? But women usually walk lightly on their feet... Is this natural or a social expectation?

Anyway, I thought it's strange that my mom is way heavier than me but her feet are light. We all walk like a soldier, me, mom, aunts, but they don't stomp or walk heavily at all. I want to stop walking like that.

I tried looking for answers on the internet and so far, no satisfying answer yet but, I found people who walk heavily on their feet just like I do: (click on the link to understand my reply or explanation below each link)

Emily
True, and I always thought that was odd until recently.

CC
She's 16, not fat, and not a nun (huh, I didn't know nun walk heavily on their feet on purpose) and her parents thought it's because she walk on her heel. So, how are we suppose to walk? On tip toe?

after all, Fnick is superman.
Um no, Katie. It has nothing to do with the shoes I'm wearing. Control my foot step instead of letting it drop? Is that how everyone else do it? I thought it should be natural, where you don't have to think about walking in order to walk rightly? But I'll keep this in mind. Thanks, Katie.

rrossorr's neighbor
This one make me almost laugh. Yes, when I walk, it rattles everything on the floor. You'd be mistaking it for a tiny earthquake.

exl_chic
I'm starting to wonder if she has the same problem like me but didn't realize it...

Other than that, there aren't much about walking heavily on the net at all. I found this article about knee pain that seems related to this problem. I wonder if this problem is actually uncommon or I'm using the wrong phrases here for searching.

So anyway, here are some of the relevant advices I compiled from all these links:
  • Try to relax when you walk
  • Control your foot as it hits the floor instead of letting drop
  • Walk on tiptoe
  • Walk on heel then toe
  • Think lightly when you walk

And.. some more! A step by step guide on how not to walk heavily by a silat practitioner!
  1. Don't ''step'' but place your foot & shift the weight onto it (tigers are experts at doing this when hunting)
  2. Create a low centre of gravity over a wide stance
  3. When you do shift the weight onto your lead foot dip slightly to again slowly transfer the weight onto the floor
  4. Depending on your foot you may find it less noisy to ''tip toe'' or to transfer the weight in a normal walking manner. My feet tend to crack when i tip toe.

And last but not least, another walking guide by Dr. Jolie BookSpan:
  1. When going down steps or a hill, use muscles to step down lightly.
  2. Use the leg still on the upper step to decelerate.
  3. Instead of just falling onto the lower step, keep weight on the upper leg to lower yourself lightly.
  4. Then add shock absorption from the leg that steps down.
  5. Bend the knee and use thigh muscles as you touch the ground.
  6. The same principles apply to normal walking and running.

I wish we'd go on more holiday trip soon :D I would like to test these advices out before I forget! We're back at home now, so there's no wooden floor to test on.

When I tried them on the tiled floor, my walk is noticeably less noisy as long I do it slowly. As soon as I accelerate my paces, it gets noisy again. So it's hard to say for sure if it works or not.

13 comments:

  1. wow i walk heavily too .. but this is too much thinking just to make a step ..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I only do this when people who care about it are around :P

      Delete
    2. My wife is 140 pounds and when she walks the whole house rattles you can hear her all the way from the kitchen to the bedroom and House is 3400 square feet I told her to roll her feet and I've let her know this for years she's driving me nuts she walks like an elephant I told her to roll her feet and she still can't control it. is there a research facility I can donate her too . Or a class she can take to float like a butterfly. She's causing the house to settle way before its time

      Delete
    3. Lol :D Sending her to a ninja class might help. They know how to walk without a sound.

      Delete
  2. My wife (a small woman) pounds the floor when she walks too Makes my nerves tense at all times. I played sports all my life and I walk naturally on my toes. I think it's all in the way of our disposition. If your athletic and work with your hands, you walk lighter. If your job is using mostly brains, you pound the floor. Just the way we are.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really? That's interesting. Maybe I should start exercising then.

      Delete
    2. Your wife and my wife are related

      Delete
  3. I've walked heavy my entire life as a small, petite female. I'd like to know the real scientific reason because I once was in professional levels of physical fitness. When I notice it the most is wearing heels in a hospital (then I try to tip-toe and look ridiculous) or on a hard surfaced area. My son reminds me of my heavy feet when I visit at his condo because the neighbor below his unit will ask him if an elephant was in his place. Any I'm a tiny person. Maybe chalk it up to everyone being individuals.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow.. people still visit this old article?

      Yeah, me too but we would have better luck asking that to real experts.

      I don't think you'd have to tiptoe just to be less noisy though. After trying some of the advices, I noticed that my posture plays some roles whether I'd walk like an ant, a normal human or an elephant. Admittedly, it's quite annoying to always have to be aware of your posture and movements all the time. Thank goodness I rarely need to do that.

      With that said, aren't the posture and the way we walk with heels are totally different from when we're walking with normal shoes? Could that be the reason why the problem is only noticeable when you're wearing heels?

      Delete
  4. I live in a basement apartment so I notice when somebody is stomping around their place above me.
    Oddly enough, the current tenant and one from a few years ago are both women and neither wearing shoes at the time. They just stomp when they walk. Then I lived with roommates over the last 2 years while away for school and had one female roommate after another and they both stomped, again neither of them wearing shoes. I should point out that all but one of the women were in their 20's. I do not know the relevance but thought it interesting.
    To be subjected to this constantly without notice is jarring and more than a little irritating so I did some research as well.
    This is what I discovered: Stomping may be a sign that the individual is; angry, agitated, frustrated - One of my upstairs neighbours left her husband of over 20 years so I think it might be fair to say that all of those things applied to her.
    Both of my roommates were frustrated with their work situations and one was constantly in a state of agitation over her relationship status.
    The current neighbour upstairs is having trouble at work and while I noticed that she was a heavy walker before learning of her work troubles I noticed that the intensity of her stomping increased the week that the problems reached a critical stage at her work, something she and her husband confirmed.
    I also read that stomping could be an indication of a vitamin B12 deficientcy.

    In this link skip down to the part about Gliding vs Stomping http://www.doctoroz.com/blog/janine-driver/what-does-your-walk-say-about-you

    Interesting even if none of it completely answers the question as to why one stomps when they walk but might help to understand that it isn't intentional.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting.

      Regarding the B12 deficiently, I don't know. I'm a meat lover and I don't have any severe illness so it's probably not the reason why I end up walking heavily (I'm not sure if the way I walk can be considered as stomping).

      And, I'm pretty sure I wasn't angry or depressed or frustrated but yeah, I could be quite 'intense'. Intense as in when I want to go somewhere, I don't look up, down, left or right, I just go straight to where I'm going. Same goes when I'm in my thinking mode. Like some kind of soldier (lol). So you might be quite accurate on that.

      Delete
    2. I was just throwing that gathered information out there being interested because of my personal experience living below and with people who stomp.

      The one young woman upstairs, while only recently having trouble at work, is a very upbeat and seemingly happy person but still stomps when she walks regardless of her work situation.

      I'm a fast walker myself and also walk with purpose but I am light on my feet. So who knows what it is that make some people heavy on their feet, some light and some are foot draggers/shufflers. I am sure somebody somewhere knows the answer but as for myself, I'm just guessing.

      Delete
  5. STOMPING

    May indicate: Vitamin B12 deficiency, uncontrolled diabetes.


    When our feet touch the ground, they send the brain signals about the position of the limb in a phenomenon called proprioception.


    ‘Impaired proprioception can occur due to loss of sensation and it can cause an unco-ordinated gait as the person will be unaware of the position of their lower limbs,’ says consultant podiatrist Haydn Kelly of the London Medical Centre in Harley Street.


    Sufferers lift the foot and leg very high and then slam it to the ground in order to know where the feet have landed.


    Conditions that cause a loss of sensation in the feet include diabetes and vitamin B12 deficiency as they damage the nerves that control movement.


    Symptoms include numbness and/or tingling of the extremities, muscle weakness and disturbed co-ordination.



    Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2194428/What-way-walk-says-sex-life--mention-size-handbag-bunions.html#ixzz3snSnL3mz
    Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

    ReplyDelete

Semua komen akan ditapis terlebih dahulu sebelum disiarkan. Apa pun, saya ucapkan ribuan terima kasih kerana sudi komen :)

Thank you for leaving your comments :) but please be informed that all comments will be screened before they are posted on this site.