Thursday, December 25, 2014

Christmas, Deepavali and Chinese New Year

I have always been somewhat reluctant to wish my non-Muslim friends and acquaintances Merry Christmas, Happy Deepavali, Happy Chinese New Year or any similar religious/cultural related greetings. The most I can do is to wish them a happy holiday. So I don't mind if they didn't wish me Happy Aidil Fitri or Happy Aidil Adha either. Just a happy holiday will do.

I wouldn't claim that I know in depth about the celebrations to say it's good or bad for my faith but it is safe to say that I know Christmas is about celebrating the birth of Jesus Christ which is not a problem because Jesus is one of our Prophets, Deepavali is a celebration of good winning against evil which is not a problem either because.. uh, who would have any problem with that? And Chinese New Year is just a new year celebration according to the Chinese Calendar. 

I guess when all I know about the events are the basic, it's easy to say that there should be no problem for me or any Muslim to wish non-Muslim friends and acquaintances a Happy 'Event Name'. But then, why does it feel so hard for me to actually say/write that? I don't get it either but I think it has something to do with what I didn't know about the event. I mean the real reasons, sentiments and teaching behind it. If I don't know that, how can I say I agree or disagree with the event?

But if that's the case, why didn't I try to learn more about them? Easy. I'm simply not interested. I have never been a festive type of person. I prefer a quiet celebration of Aidil Fitri and Aidil Adha which I bother to learn what the events are all about only because I'm a Muslim. So what makes you think I'd be interested to learn about more events especially the ones I don't feel related to?

Yeah, yeah, I'm a cold person. I'm not sorry for not sharing the same sentiments with you guys (my non-Muslim friends, acquaintances, blog readers). But just so you know, this doesn't mean that I like it if anyone especially among the Muslims threaten you guys to stop celebrating your religious or cultural events. As long you don't force others to celebrate it with you, I don't think we have the right to bother you guys either.

I'm free to practice my religion, you are free to practice your religion. I think that's the most important thing, not the whether Muslims can or cannot or should or should not wish Happy 'Whatever Event' to non-Muslims or vice-versa. So with all that said, I wish you guys a very happy holiday during Christmas :)


P/S: This is just my personal opinion.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Semua komen akan ditapis terlebih dahulu sebelum disiarkan. Apa pun, saya ucapkan ribuan terima kasih kerana sudi komen :)

Thank you for leaving your comments :) but please be informed that all comments will be screened before they are posted on this site.